Google Analytics disabled.
Three days painting course
The painting course intended to guide the students/painters toward creating a painting from a photograph reference, using both indirect and direct painting techniques. It aims to instruct painters on how to use the photograph to create a painting that surpasses the look of the photograph, not simply imitates a photograph. The workshop will explain how to start a painting on a white canvas.
The process will begin with transferring the photo outline to the canvas, then showing a demonstration into how to work directly to create the first painting layer. The students will learn to create color relationships that portray the space and volume, creating the illusion. Emphasizing on the great value on tones, and the smooth tonal transitions. Those are the most important aspects to activate the white surface and create a realistic sense. Maintaining accurate color relationships rather than rendering, the application of paint to describes the form. We will highlight the structural volumes of the form over the contour, concentrating on relating all parts of the picture to each other with an organized palette. From there, students will be guided towards deciding what information is essential to look for in the photo and what pitfalls to avoid when interpreting a photograph.
The painting will be developed through direct layer of paint respecting the tones, values, transitions to achieve semi-finished look. When it’s dry, glazing will be applied. Method of Glazing will be discussed.
The final result can be a painting that captures the essence of the subject. Most important is the actual practice of the process, and the experience you gain through the 3 days working together.
No minimum level is required just good disposition for working and learning, it is not a critical course, the aim is to go through the process and enjoy the experience without being overwhelmed with the immediate result.
Syllabus and schedule
Morning session: 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Lunch break: 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Second session: 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm
• We start with a brief introduction about the course.
• Transferring the photo to the white canvas
• We will go over what makes a good photo reference.
• Color mixing, palette preparation will be done through the demonstration
• Discussion and demonstration on the process
• Students start to work on their own canvases
• Passing by every student to mentor
• Continue working on and demonstration on the process with other part of the photo
• Color progression/color relationship
• Following up with painters and provide counsels/ recommendations.
• Glazing process
• Taking care of color relationships and exploring new application techniques with glazing, to create initial illusion based on color in the reference.
• End of workshop.
MOBILE PHONES AND PHOTOGRAPHS
Not allowed to use the mobile phones during the demonstration and/or painting time.
You can take photos only during the break time.